Friday, 27 March 2009

Before Sunset

Part of the way into this film I became somewhat restless and asked in my rather childish and peevish I'm-going-to-throw-a-tantrum-if-I-am-going-to-get-bored voice “Is this whole film really going to be about these two people having a conversation?”
Well actually it was. But surprisingly it turned out to be really enjoyable. Not only that, but it was acted out in real-time – a chance meeting in the stolen moments before a flight must be caught, a journey through Paris and a conversation that touches on the fundamental issues of two people's lives, two people who had met years before and fallen in love – who had remained haunted by one another and had been prevented from seeing one another again by fate and the failure to exchange phone no.'s. Their conversation is quite light hearted, witty and entertaining.
I'm tragically ill-informed for a so-called “movie-critic” I'm afraid to say, as well as having the memory-capacity of a small mule - I just found out, when I went on Wikipedia to find out Julie Delpy's name, that Before Sunset is actually the sequel to Before Sunrise which was made in 1995... the real time thing is taken to another level here because the first film was made nine years before and portrays the events that happened nine years before what happens in the second film which was made in 2004 …. if that makes any sense. Well, you certainly don't need to have seen the first film to enjoy Before Sunset and Julie D. sings very beautifully.... plus it has a happy ending.... what more could you want????

No comments:

Post a Comment