
In spite of the fact that The Changeling deals with a most heart-wrenching and harrowing true story …..as well as a very scary and sick real-life serial killer..... I really loved it. It is partly the compelling ring of truth that real-life stories always have, and partly the excellent use of shadow and light in the filming – as well as the truth of emotion that Anglina Jolie brought to the role of the mother desperately trying to find her missing child. In the beginning, when things were pretty normal, I actually found her very hard to believe in the role. I don't know if it was just my scattered preconceptions, but it really felt like her limbs were way, way too long to fit into the room when she was trying to adjust her action-hero stride to the demure movements of a middle-class working mum. As soon as the trauma and grief set in though, I believed her – totally – I think she must be a genuinely very maternal and emotional person, because this came out of her so very naturally and with both gentleness and force. I think Uncle Clink (Eastwood) must be quite a good director – I like the way the whole thing was put together – and the way it exposed the heinous corruption in the Los Angeles police-force at the time..... they actually incarcerated the mother and had her certified as insane because she insisted the child returned to her was not really her son.... in the end justice does prevail to some extent, which is good to see. It's gripping, harrowing, great – and not for the faint hearted.... that's for sure. 
No comments:
Post a Comment